Prevention is better than cure- Not just a saying but a necessity now. The new Mucormycosis fungus or commonly known as ‘black fungus’ has proven the fact that it’s better to prevent it, than to cure it.
It is a rare kind of fungal infection affecting 1 in 10,00,000 people, but with a mortality rate of more than 50 per cent.
Like most fungi, Mucor produces millions of microscopic spores, which are dispersed in air. When the spores land on moist surfaces, like soil or plants and produce thread like structures called mycelia. The mycelia branch out and feed on sugars in their surroundings and grow.
When a patient whose immune system has been compromised inhales Mucor spores, they may develop mucormycosis. This is a rare, non-contagious disease – but it can be debilitating or FATAL if not treated quickly.
Who is more prone to Black fungus?
- People suffering from/ recovered from Severe COVID-19.
- Prolonged use of Humidifiers/ Oxygen therapy.
- Congenital bone marrow disease.
- Untreated Diabetes
- Recently been on Steroidal treatment or heavy antibiotics.
- Kidney/Liver disease
- Patients with Organ transplants.
Basically, anybody who has been Immune-compromised, is more prone to develop it.
Steroidal treatment has proven to be a high-risk factor, so AVOID the use of steroids until ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY.
*Sinusitis- Nasal blockage/ discharge (blackish/bloody)
* Local pain on the cheekbone, one-sided facial pain, numbness or swelling
* Blackish discolouration over the bridge of nose/palate
* Loosening of teeth, jaw involvement
* Blurred or double vision with pain
* Thrombosis, necrotic skin lesion
* Chest pain, pleural effusion, worsening of respiratory symptoms
How to Prevent Mucormycosis?
* Control your sugar levels
* Don’t take Steroids or any medications without consulting your doctor.
* Avoid wearing the same mask for more than 6 hours.
* Maintain personal and public hygiene.
* Be alert about slightest symptoms developing post Covid.
* Consult the doctor with onset of mildest symptoms